Sunday, March 10, 2013

Stuck in the Wilderness

Over the years, I have come to realize that I can no longer be separated from wilderness for very long before I become overwhelmingly agitated and anxious. This isn’t to say that I’ve always lived in the wilderness, by any means, but is to say that it has become a sacred place of reflection, learning, and refreshment for me that is unmatched by anything else I have encountered. I suspect that if you’re reading this, you may have a similar feeling about its power, even if you haven't yet articulated your thoughts about it.

It's very interesting that wilderness is viewed with a somewhat fearful fascination by many folks. It is the blank canvas for an imagination to run wild in many respects because it is vast, mysterious, and full of creatures outside our normal realm of experience. Yet, once we transcend these fears and decide to acquaint ourselves with that "distant mountain," a new world opens up to us that can become a setting of great learning and healing for us.

Working as an outdoor educator who often accompanies "city folk" into the wilderness, I always enjoy watching my students' reactions to their environment. It generally follows a somewhat predictable arc - from disgust and discomfort during the first few days to a reluctance to leave during the last few. It all makes sense in my eyes. Going from living in a house or apartment to living under a tarp; pooping in a toilet to digging a hole; eating fast food to eating dehydrated food, is understandably shocking for most and often leads to voluntary fasting and constipation among students. There are always questions about the usual suspects - "What if a bear tries to eat me?" and "What if a snake comes into my sleeping bag?" - but after a few sleepless nights, students often succumb to a sense of peace and relief that comes with living in the wilderness. In my view, they succumb to a primeval connection to a place from which they are truly inseparable - the natural world.

Once you take the extended trip into the wilderness to confront irrational fears and become comfortable with a little bit of discomfort, you may also get "stuck in the wilderness." Afterwards, you may just yearn to get back to the place where you can actually feel the evening breeze, hear the birdsong echo through the canopy, and soak in the views that can only be had by those courageous enough to walk to them. I'll see you there.

Posted by Adam Haigler

The Pioneer Project is a Gap Year Program in the USA that focuses on Homesteading, Craft, and Wilderness skills that aims to help students achieve clarity of purpose, empowerment and a sense of interdependence through community-oriented semester programs.

No comments:

Post a Comment